The Sir Thomas Playford ETSA Museum is a collection of electrical and associated artifacts from the late 1800’s to the present. Occupying the former Kurralta Park Line Depot, the Museum is housed in three buildings plus an outdoor demonstration substation switchyard. The Governor of South Australia, Sir Eric Neal, officially opened the Sir Thomas Playford, ETSA Museum on Sunday 1st September 1996.

Much of the work required to get the Museum ready for opening was carried out by the ETSA Retired and Past Employees Association (now known as the SA Energy Industry Past Employees Association Inc.) and many of the objects on display were contributed by Dennis Beck the senior Customer Advisory officer of the day.

In 1997, at the request of the then Managing Director of ETSA, Mr. Clive Armour, the ETSA Past Employees Association Inc. entered into a formal agreement with ETSA Corporation to manage the Sir Thomas Playford ETSA Museum at Kurralta Park on behalf of ETSA.

With the privitisation of the electricity industry in South Australia and the subsequent breakup of ETSA Corporation, the ownership of the artifacts in the Sir Thomas Playford ETSA Museum went to RESI Corporation, while ETSA Utilities and now SA Power Networks continue to provide finance and a home for the museum at Kurralta Park.

In 2003 ETSA Utilities and RESI Corporation reached a formal agreement whereby ETSA Utilities took on the responsibility for managing the museum. In 2012 ETSA Utilities changed its name to SA Power Networks to better reflect the scope of their business and SA Energy Industry Past Employees Association, on behalf of SA Power Networks, continues with the day to day running of the Museum.

Museum Artifacts

The Museum is dedicated to the collection of machinery and apparatus used by the Electricity Trust of South Australia (ETSA) and previously the Adelaide Electric Supply Company (AESCo) in the generation, distribution and use of electricity in South Australia. Further to that, the museum has a collection of commercial appliances and electrical equipment, which used electrical energy. The collection includes over 800 exhibits dating from the late 1890’s and throughout the 20th century.

The museum collection includes a comprehensive range of electrical test instruments and energy meters covering early d.c. equipment used extensively in the late 1800’s through to the latest electronic instruments.

A large collection of photographs of various AESCo and ETSA power stations, buildings, transport and activities is held along with house magazines from the first edition of 'Adelect' in 1925 (edited by James Stobie) until the last of the “Adelects” printed.

Stobie pole construction, then and now.

Running the Museum

The day-to-day development and maintenance of the museum is the responsibility of the SA Energy Industry Past Employees Association Inc. and a small group of members is involved in the restoration of exhibits. This dedicated group regularly meets at Kurralta Park on Tuesdays and members enjoy working with former colleagues and reminiscing about earlier times with ETSA.

Location: 31-33 Broughton Ave., (cnr. Clifford Ave.), Kurralta Park, 5037

Public Transport: Bus route 241, Stop 5A, the museum is one block North of Tennyson St.

Telephone: (08) 8351 0509 on Tuesdays from 9.00am to 3.30pm and at other times you can leave a message on the answering machine.

Correspondence to: ETSA Past Employees Assoc Inc., PO Box 360 Marleston Business Centre, SA 5033

Trip Advisor
"One of Adelaide's hidden gems..."